The ex-head of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Kuzbass was released in the case of the fire in “Winter Cherry”

The court in Kemerovo released the former head of the Ministry of Emergency Situations for the Kemerovo Region, Alexander Mamontov, from punishment. Previously, he was sentenced to 10.5 years in a general regime colony and a fine of 900 thousand rubles in the case of a fire in the Winter Cherry shopping center.

How reports TASS, he was released from punishment under the article of negligence due to the expiration of the statute of limitations for criminal prosecution. The court decided to immediately release Mamontov from custody. The defense sought to have the verdict overturned, but not because the statute of limitations had expired, but with the wording of acquittal. Mamontov’s lawyer stated that she considers her client innocent and plans to file a cassation appeal.

The court also commuted the sentence of the chief state fire inspector of the Ministry of Emergency Situations in Kemerovo, Grigory Terentyev, from 8.5 to 7.5 years in a general regime colony. He was also released from punishment for negligence due to the expiration of the statute of limitations.

On June 27, 2023, a court in Kemerovo found Mamontov guilty of negligence resulting in the death of two or more persons, as well as embezzlement on an especially large scale. Terentyev was found guilty of negligence and fraud using his official position.

According to the investigation, they knew about fire safety violations in Winter Cherry, but “did not take measures to carry out an inspection.” Including due to the negligence of the former head of the Ministry of Emergency Situations and the state inspector, according to investigators, the fire extinguishing system was broken, and the emergency exits closed.

  • On March 25, 2018, a major fire occurred in the Kemerovo shopping center “Winter Cherry”. 60 people were killed, including 37 children, and another 147 people were injured. In connection with the fire, five criminal cases were opened against 15 people: employees of the Ministry of Emergency Situations, officials and workers of the shopping center.
  • The investigation concluded that on the day of the fire the fire alarm in the shopping center was not working, and the security guard on duty turned off the fire safety system. In addition, the emergency exits from the Winter Cherry were locked.
  • For more: DC & People website and for social networking, you can follow us on Facebook
  • Source of information and images “independent”

Related Articles

Back to top button

Discover more from DC & People

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading